Thursday, October 21, 2010

shifts and changes

Life is quite the journey, so when your life takes a turn, going on a trip isn't a bad idea at all. I'm living solo again. My partner has moved out, at my request, and so we'll now see how dating works out. Happily ever after isn't entirely easy to work out, at least for some of us. But that's all the personal drama I will report on here, sorry.

I left my house and cat in good hands last week, not running away, but in a serendipitously timed, long-planned trip to a wedding. Therefore I spent several days in Stratford, attending two plays and the wedding, so in effect, attended much theatre. Dangerous Liaisons was the first play, and brilliantly done. I got completely involved in the story (even though I knew it) and felt the tragedy of the ending. Ah, life is harsh, and people often unkind (and no, that's not a personal comment).

The wedding was brimming with hope, love, and potential for longevity. Happily Ever After seems possible. I like it.

The third day I saw As You Like It, which was less successful (than the first play or the real wedding) though I'd say the audience didn't seem to agree with me, so perhaps I was just worn out. Or all the relationships in the play just seemed silly after seeing a real-life happy ending/beginning. Or it's just that I've seen the play too often, and should have just gone for a walk by the river. A longer walk, anyway, because I did use that route getting to the theatre and back again. Stratford is a very pretty town; I've finally (in my getting-old age) come to appreciate places that don't have mountains. I've embraced variety!

I left Stratford by train, a mode of transportation that is less useful in BC, as there are greater distances, and fewer places to go. It's too bad, because it makes a good contemplative trip free from airport 'security' and friskings (on the way out of Vancouver I declined to step through their microwave oven, and so got patted down thoroughly instead. This profiling has to stop.). The train trip was a bit long, because of some contortions VIA Rail had to go through because of a derailment that day, but they got me where I was going, finally. And since then I've been having a leisurely visit with one of my kids and her partner. Again, I'm cheered by youth and hope.

And I've done some shopping. The therapeutic effect is real.

No comments: