Saturday, February 20, 2010

winning (versus the alternative)

It takes a lot to turn Canada into some kind of tribe, but extravagant sport seems to be able to do it. We grumble and complain about everything, but when one of "ours" wins, we cheer and sing the anthem and wave the flag.

Although I'm not convinced that rabid nationalism is something to aspire to, as a way to get there, sport sure beats war.

As for all the emphasis on winning, some perspective in comparing apples to oranges, ie countries with three hundred million people to thirty-five million (or China with over a billion) might be in order. It's hardly surprising that large countries can find (coerce) some good athletes. But as with cheering sports heroes over war heroes, winning beats losing; I won't deny it.

I had a taste of what it feels like early this afternoon (and no taxpayer funds were hurt in the racing)...

Picture the scene: both of us reading the paper, still in dressing gowns and sipping our coffee, the TV tuned to Olympics coverage. Oh! I said, and raced to my computer. It was time for the Race for Tickets courtesy of the Globe and Mail. The clue for the day appears at noon, and it was noon. I came back into the living room to announce the location was on Granville Island. Let's go! said my partner, and we leaped into our clothes, or some of them anyway, as I didn't bother with socks (but this is Vancouver, so no frostbite worries). He's faster, so he got the car out and picked me up in the lane. We broke no speed limits, but I ran the last bit, because traffic was stopped on the Island by a parade. I dodged walkers and the parade to land on the mat, first of the day. We won Gold! Whoo hoo!

Two free tickets to a hockey game at GM Place (or Canada Hockey Place, as Vanoc likes to call it) so we can even walk there. Yay! Winning's great!

3 comments:

vaughan said...

Woo hoo! Congrats! Which hockey game?

Shirley Rudolph said...

It was the Russia/Czech game. We were up in one of the boxes, so had free munchies and drinks too; a real treat.

YY said...

Yeah, yeah, double yeah. (And I don't even like sports.)