Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Time

It passes, doesn't it? Here I thought I was on top of things, and it's already January 12, with nary an entry in nearly two weeks. I'm trying to put some kind of schedule into my life, so that all things get attended to. But really, I seem to be a person who works at putting out fires. Deadline approaching? Douse it.

I haven't just been lying around eating leftover shortbread. There are signs of movement here. Mostly in my computer though. It's interesting how the advent of technology has changed the way life goes. Once upon a time, I wouldn't have had my nose in a computer for hours a day. But it's mesmerizing. I'm mesmerized right now! Oh, maybe that's my problem. Too much absorption in myself?

I did take a brief writing break. A friend was house-sitting on Bowen, and I packed up my papers and pens and went to join her. A good 48 hours away from computer, tv, newspapers. And city lights. I like sleeping in the dark, and that doesn't happen where I live. So quiet. Trees. Sound of rain. Wind. Wind chimes. We did write, and also walked in the woods, and poked around in shops, like any self-respecting tourist might do. I found I was irritated by the chatter from radios in some stores. It was a blissful break, and I will remember to do it from time to time, whether there's a friend conveniently house-sitting or not. Doesn't have to be Bowen, it's just the away-from-city-racket part that I liked. Also stepping out of usual setting, makes you think. It's all about perspective, I suppose. 

I have got one or two resolves I've made for this fresh new year. I decided that I would take a break from being a drinker of alcohol. I've had a one-night lapse, where the dinner I made cried out for wine accompanying, but oddly I didn't feel particularly great the next day, and so my resolve has been reaffirmed. I'm a bit on the fence as to whether I have a really great problem with the stuff, but I am certain that the habit has been getting a little too habitual. It's as if I fell into a holiday from being the responsible adult in everyone's life, but I've found I still need one in mine. No one's the boss of me!! except me of course, and so the resolve.

The other resolve is around writing, small steps to bring myself back into the habit. This is a habit that I would like to become habitual. My journal and my blog are babysteps forward toward some writing projects that have been slightly touched on, but mostly lie in (virtual) piles. Or maybe I'm taking tiny adult steps. The steps of a somewhat responsible adult. We'll see.

1 comment:

daringtowrite said...

ah, so good to find you here again.